Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bumper Stickers... a thing of the past?

"My friends are the kind that if the house was burning down, they would be making smores and hitting on the firemen."

I know I'm a little bit weird to have a post on my blog regarding bumper stickers, but this was something that I was thinking about earlier today in the car. While I was driving home from running a few errands, I saw a bumper sticker on the car in front of me. I don't know why, but I always get a little bit excited when I see one, and almost inevitably have to read it. You know, when you're at a stop light and the car in front of you has a bumper sticker, but the print is so tiny that you have to roll your car slowly forward as you lean across the dash and over the steering wheel - just to read it? If you ever look to the left and see someone in this precarious situation, now you know what they are doing (and will probably think of me).

The sad thing is that bumper stickers are becoming more and more infrequent. I say sad as if I have them on the back of my car somewhere, but in all actuality I don't want them on my car anymore than anyone else does. I just enjoy reading them! They are usually humorous!

Aside from the occasional (traditional) BS's that we see here in Indy...


(Notice that there is no Purdue BS listed... (BOOO PU!) Just Kidding. ) There really are very few others that we see on the road. Of course there are all of those circular ones with letters inside (which I hate to admit, but I have no idea what those letters stand for) is it supposed to be a conversation starter? Do you really want me to follow you home so that I can ask what those letters stand for?

And of course when googled the letters OCD it stands for hundreds of things... Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Obsessive Camera Direction? Original Comedy Drama? One Chance Dance? Off Choice Decision? I mean really people! Can you just put the words underneath the letters??? I will roll forward until my bumper touches yours (if I have to) to read them, but please include those words!

Now that I've vented a little bit, I feel a little better. I do still love bumper stickers, no matter how tacky they seem to be. I will forever enjoy seeing them, and will do the "roll n' bump" if I have to in order to read them. :)

Just for laughs, I'll include some of my favorites - thanks to Facebook (Bumper Stickers for Facebook.com... seriously, the person who came up with that was brilliant! Sticker yr' friends!) that make me laugh. If you have a few that make you laugh too, feel free to post them!



"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. Thanks for being the pee in my pants."


"I have CDO... It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphebetical order like they should be."

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours."

(Sorry about the quality, taking them from Facebook and blowing them up for my blog diluted them a bit.) I look forward to reading some of your favorites!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I DIED at the CDO bumper sticker... seeing as how I work for a mental health hospital, I may just have to forward that one on. I often find myself driving faster than I should to catch up to a plastered car so I can read all the stickers. They really can be quite good. Thanks for a hilarious post!!

Ethan likes the one that says: We're all here because we're not all there.

My favorite: I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Unknown said...

Haha, your favorite BS about being indecisive... I'm buying that one for Jared for Christmas. It seems like we have that conversation everyday. haha.

I'm glad you like the CDO sticker... I'm a little OCD so I hung it up on the fridge. :)

The Horn Family said...

I too find myself speeding up just to try and read a bumper sticker.
They can be quite humorous. I too like the CDO one.

Unknown said...

It's interesting how I don't see many bumper stickers on cars anymore. I see them more often on Facebook. I'm usually on Facebook checking out bumper stickers and playing games on an app called One Minute Mogul. It has two really fun games.