Thursday, February 07, 2008

Mrs. Understood

First of all, please don't send me emails or postings about how wrong you think I am about politics. I'm not putting this post up as a debate, or argument, I am just expressing my feelings about it. I understand that we may have different oppinions, and that's okay! :)
According to my daily Yahoo.com viewing, Senator Mitt Romney has now dropped out of the Presidential race.


Romney suspends presidential campaign -

I can't really, wholeheartedly, say that I was ever really a fan of Mitt Romney's but I was disappointed to hear that he was leaving the race. There were a few things that he and I didn't have in common, and a few that we did, but the uneasiness that came with the thought of an LDS President was offsetting to me.

I know that in my personal experience, people tend to take what I say about the church to heart, and apply it to the whole church in general. That is why we are so careful about our actions. For instance, I work with a girl who I get along with really well. One day, in conversation I mentioned that I didn't drink. No conversation about the church came up, we just continued to talk about whatever it was that we were discussing. A few days later, she was telling me about how a friend and she were talking and (due to the presidential candidates) the Mormons came up in conversation. She told her friend that Mormons don't drink. She told me later, that she knew that because I didn't drink. My point is, that millions of people all over this country, and the world, believe our examples.

Because of this phenomenon, that we believe as 'actions speak louder than words', my fear of an LDS President is unmistakeable. Wouldn't it be terrible if an entire country was led to believe that the LDS church was Pro-Choice? That's the exact opposite of what we believe. We believe that everyone has their free agency, but we do not, however, believe in abortion. I know, it's a touchy subject and I could have selected another, but that's what you get in a blog where I type from whim.

Now, I'm a little saddned at his suspension of candidacy. I guess that even though I wasn't totally thrilled with the idea of an LDS President, I liked the concept that someone from our faith was willing to step up an be a leader. That's unmistakable strength, and extremely exciting to see.

I recently thought that I knew which cnadidate I would vote for in the election. But just recently, I've heard a few things that have made me waiver in my decision. I was definitly a Huckabee fan, and am saddened that more people didn't like him. I think he would be a fabulous President. In any situation, I guess I need to do some more research on each candidate and decide who I really feel is capable of running this country right. I think in a few years, I'll run for President. Then again, on second thought, maybe not. I don't have tough enough skin to withstand then spotlight.

Hey, if any of you would consider running, I'll consider voting for you.

In my last fleeting comments, I would just like to say how important I fell it is to vote. If you aren't registered, you should be. Oh, and if you don't vote, don't complain to me or anyone else. If you don't choose, you lose! So, be a productive member of society and tell us what you think by making your voice heard at the polls.

And no, I'm not a member of any political party, and was not paid to tell you to vote. :)

No comments: