Friday, September 05, 2008

Vegetarians Needed

I need some serious help from all you vegetarians out there. By orders from the doctor, I am to only eat All Natural foods, not including meats. I am allowed fish, but no beef or chicken. I can only have fructose - no sucrose, or added sugar suppliments. And especially no salt. Basically, I'm stuck with fruits, veggies, and fish. I'm running out of ideas on how to make this food interesting, I can't eat another orange!






I've been eating Salmon for dinner, with a little bit of Malt Vinegar (which has been pretty good) but it's only day 2, and I'm out of ideas! I can't have terryaki or BBQ sauce, so malt vinegar is pretty much my only added flavoring. I'm missing Sushi already (we love our sushi), but the thought of eating it without soy sauce doesn't sound appetizing. I know that most vegetarians aren't this strick in their diets, but hopefully someone out there has some new recipes for me to try. I've been spending my summer Saturday mornings at the farmers market, so I'm happy that I have some fresh fruits and veggies to eat! I also can eat cheese, so that's making it a lot easier too. I really had no idea how much junk we had around our house until I started this. Goldfish, chips, ice cream, cinnamon rolls, etc. and we have no reason to eat all of this stuff! Maybe I can convince Jared to join me on my trek of being a vegetarian for a few days...

Okay, I did say MAYBE.

I guess I should clarify that I don't have to do this forever, I only have to do it for about two weeks. They are trying to clean my body of as much sodium and sugars as possible. Apparently they want to see if they can get my blood pressure back to a normal level before they begin testing my kidneys, and they fear that due to my blood pressure and possible kidney problems I may end up with diabetes (hence the sugar limits). After two weeks I can go back to my unhealthy ways, however, I'm not opposed to enjoying so much that I keep it up. (I'm not saying I'll keep this up EXACTLY - I can't live long without chicken) But I'll certainly be more careful about what I put into my body.

So all of you vegetarians - or healthy eaters- out there... send me your favorite recipes, PLEASE!!!

I'll keep you all updated on how I do. As for now, I need to purge my fridge and cabinets... those goldfish are really calling!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Good grief, that's quite a diet to be put on. I'll have to go through my recipes to see if I can be of any help -- good luck with the diet and the tests. Wow.

ACDC2005 said...

Um, have you eaten any beans? I make a lot of soups with beans. I make my own broth using scraps from vegetables and boiling them, or you can get vegetarian broth. If you have a trader joes around I would check that out also. It's hard to think of things off the top of my head that don't have one of those things. I also eat a lot of rice. Red rice and beans is certainly a favorite of ours. I will have to look at some things and get back to you.

ACDC2005 said...

Can you have tofu or any of the smart meats like the "ground beef" ones? I love this thing called zuchagna. My friend made it up but I made up the name. HAHA. You basically take some zuchini's and slice them length-wise into strips and bake them until a little tender but still firm. Then you take a thing of spaghetti sauce (you can make your own as to keep out the sugar) and you saute either tofu (if you like it) or the fake meat with spinach, onions, garlic, mushrooms (whatever veggies you like) and you make a layer of zuchini on the bottom, then the filler, and then the sauce, and then the zuchini, filler, and sauce. I add an extra layer (just spinach since we love it so much) and sometimes I top it with a little bit of mozarella and or fresh parmesan. I don't know if this will work but I will think of more.