Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Saddest Place on Earth

I thought I knew what saddness was.


I thought I understood pain and suffering.


I thought MY life was hard.



I WAS WRONG.



I write this blog today to increase awareness and support.


About two weeks ago, Jared and I adopted an adorable puppy from an Animal Rights Group, Indiana-PAW. (Please visit their website at: http://www.indianapaw.com/) She is the best thing that has ever happened to us. On Tuesday night, the director of Indiana-PAW came to our home to interview us and see Abbey's new forever home. As she sat in our living room, she told us stories of Abbey's past. An unbelievable story unfolded of sickness and sadness. Thankfully, Abbey is okay, and happier than ever... but those stories wouldn't leave my mind.


The director began to tell us about the shelter in Rushville, Indiana where Abbey came from. She and her brother had come in as strays, and that the shelter is under-funded and sad. Thedon't offer shots to any of the animals because they can't afford it, which leads to outbreaks of diseses including Parvo (Kennel Cough). There had been an outbreak the day before Indiana-PAW pulled Abbey from the shelter and unfortunately, 15 puppies had to be euthanized before the outbreak spread. Luckily, Abbey survived. She told us how the shelter is in terrible condition and how they are extremely under staffed. She told us that we should feel so great about ourselves for adopting Abbey out of these curcumstances, and yet I couldn't feel great because I felt sad for all of the other animals there. The hardest part for me, is that there were 650 animals in there door last year, and only 7% made it out alive. That means that 93% were euthanized in one year alone, including kittens, puppies and older animals due to lack of space. They have to euthanize every week, just to keep enough space for incoming animals.


I couldn't help but be terrorized by the thought of this place. I cried. All night I cried. How could I not? Knowing that there were that many animals who's days were numbered? Abbey survived that place for an entire month, but only because the Assistant Animal Control Officer of the Rushville Animal Shelter, had a soft spot in her heart for her.


I had to see it. I had to see this horrible place. I had to do somethiing, anything. I had to help.


At first I thought that maybe I could just raise some money, and clean the place up. I thought that maybe if they had enough money, then everything would be better. Jared and I were going in the morning to see what needed to be done. I would never be ready. I expected the worst, but hoped for something else. Even as I dressed that next morning, I second guessed going there. I knew that I couldn't make a difference if I didn't go, so I had to go.


It was an excruciatingly long drive.


WARNING: If you have a VERY soft heart, you may not want to continue. I have some pictures that will break your heart, and make you feel compelled to action. Please just know that you have been warned.


When we first arrived, I was given a tour by one of the two volunteers (which only come and help on Saturday mornings) of the entire facility. I found the volunteers and Assistant Animal Control Officer (AACO) huddled in the small office. It was nice and warm in there, since it was like 60 degrees outside. When the volunteer led me into the animal holding, it was freezing! She said that the Animal Control Officer (a man who was not there.) likes to keep it at 55 degrees all year long. It was very dark and damp also. She told me a little about the ACO, which I don't have a great feeling towards anymore. Just based on the testimony of the AACO, the ACO does all of the euthanizations for the shelter, and it is not humane. The following is what I ducumented on my trip.



The outdoor holding kennels, only used in the summer time.


This is the freezer, this is where they keep the dogs after they have been euthanized. A fertilizer company comes to clean this out every once in awhile. (This was hard to hear)

Another shot of the outdoor kennels.


The side of the building, and the mess.

This is the entrance.


This is the side of the building that you drive up to. This building used to house a dump. On one side of the building is the new dump, and on the other is a wastewater treatment plant. This is just happened to be a vacant building, which was not built to house animals.

This is what you will see if you visit the shelter.

One of the puppies, he's on his way to a foster. Who knows if he will make it out.


Some storage space and cat holding crates.

This is the only place to house the cats and kittens. They can only hold 20 or so at a time, and that's about as many as they get in a week or two.


This is storage that is directly across from the cats. There are hazardous chemicals, food, carpet squares, along with other neccessary items all out in the open.

Washer and dryer area.



Where they wash and dry the food bowls. This is where they give baths also, if it is neccessary, or an animal is being adopted and are going out.

This is just a vacant area, to ilustrate how the building has never been properly cleaned. Some of this was just left here.

To illustrate how unkept the premises are.


Eli Lilly, a pharmaceuticals company here in Indianapolis, donated a few puppy kennels to the shelter. Many are used, however these are a few that were just left out back. They seemed to be in good condition from what I could tell, but just aren't being utilized. It seems crazy, especially since they have some space where they could keep them. These are out in the back of the building, and I had to sneak back there to get a picture.

This is a shot of the dump next door. I stood at the front door of the shelter to illustrate how close the dump actually was. You can actually SEE the trash.


These puppies may not be here next week. There chances are 7% of making it to next Wednesday.

This is the puppy room. These are the kennels which were donated from Eli Lilly. Thankfully these kennels help keep it a lot more snaitary. Before they had these, they only had 12 indoor kennels to house dogs and were unable to keep as many as they are now.

I probably wont be here much longer, and it's too bad because I am such a sweet dog.

This is a shot of the rusty, dirty, old kennels that house the larger dogs. There are only 12 and under no circumstances are dogs placed together, unless they come in together. They can only hold 12 strays at a time.

This is the very dirty and unsanitary entrance to the dog kennels. Keep in mind, this building was NEVER meant to house animals.

Another shot of the large dog kennels.

The inside of the dog kennels, you can see that they painted the walls, but it's still pretty meager.

This is a very sweet dog, it's too bad she may never make it out alive.

Save me, please.

What can you do to help?

I hope this helps to open other people's eyes, to the problems that are happening to our animals. I think we've decided to figure out how we can save these animals and this shelter. Hopefully we can help build a new shelter, that is appropriate for animals.

Leave me a message if this is inspiriing to you in anyway. I hope there is hope for these many animals, and those who love and help them.

4 comments:

familymclean said...

Oh, that is soooo sad, gulp, those poor animals, I wish I could help! You have done an amazing post, I sure help the right people see it and do help!

The Horn Family said...

That is so sad that those animals have to live that way and probably not for very long. Maybe you could send them to one of the tv stations and they could investigate. Something needs to change for those animals. This was a very inspiring post. It really opened my eyes.
By the way, you have a very cute dog.

Unknown said...

The average lifespan of an animal in this shelter is 5 days. That's so sad, I would almost they rather try and make it on their own in the world than come here.

Heather said...

This entry was hard to read and watch. I'm glad you were able to save Abbey. wow.