Saturday, October 20, 2007

Business Trip to PA

Business Trips, Business Trips, Business Trips... I have my own idea of how they should be.

So this past week on Tuesday, I was walking into a meeting at my office to plan our annual Halloween party, when my boss stoped me in the hallway.


"I need to borrow Megan, it will only take three minutes" she said.

My nerves fluttered. All of the thoughts that a person would usually think, I thought. What did I do wrong? Did I mess up a job visit? What could she possibly have to talk to me about that she can't in front of other people?

Come to find out, she wanted to ask me if I would go on a business trip with my other boss. "Well, when is it? Let me check my calander and talk to my husband and I'll get back to you." I retorted.

"Well, that would be great, I'll need your answer by this afternoon so I can book your reservations."

????????!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? "Why so soon?"

"Because you leave tomorrow and come home late Friday night." She said.

AH!

No one goes on a business trip that they found out about the day before! Well, that is everyone except me because I went.

Somehow, on Wednesday afternoon I landed myself in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful place! We spent Wednesday night at a charming hotel in Lititz, Pennsylvania, a haunted hotel with plenty of stories. I slept with the light AND the television on, and impressively felt well rested come morning. We awoke and met in the lobby at 7, just in time to grab a quick breakfast in the lobby and head over to Manheim Township High School, where we spent all day working on a punchlist. All day as in 7am-7pm. When we got back to the hotel, we took a 15 minute "freshen up" break from eachother and met in the lobby for dinner. We went to a place called Scooter's Bar and Grill, which was actually pretty good. Wendell, my boss, gave me the strangest look when I ordered a chicken salad with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. What? That's not normal? Huh, who knew.

After dinner, and an exhausting day, we headed back to the hotel to get some rest for the long day ahead. When we got back, we seperated to our own rooms. I called Jared and told him about my day and let him know my schedule for the next day. When we got off the phone, I remembered that there was this adorable little chocolate shop that we passed on our way into town, about a block from the hotel. I glanced at the clock which read 8:55, so I assumed they might still be open. I ran down the two flights of stairs and flew out the lobby door, and speed walked to the shop. Good news, they closed at nine, and I made it just in time!

As I walked through the doors, the smell of warm cookies smacked me in the face. The shop owner ran over, and as appologetically as I could I proclaimed how sorry I was and walked towards the cabinet full of delights. She raced over telling me how I was more than welcome, and that she would make me the best cup of hot cocoa that I've ever had. I can't pass up a good cup of hot cocoa! She told me all about the chocolates they make, and how they make it. A couple who were in drinking some hot cocoa chimmed in on the conversation telling me what I should buy. They were so wonderful! We all sat at this small bar in the front of the shop, drinking and talking, until 9:30. They were all so wonderful. The shop owner told me so many wonderful things about PA, and the people, and the way she loves chocolate and why it's so good for you. She had me there, glued to my seat, never wanting to leave. It was as "you've got mail" as you can imagine. Only, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan weren't invloved. The others sat and chatted with me until my cup was empty. We laughed and talked over silly things, as well as serious things. It was fabulous. Finally, it was time to go. I walked back over to the hotel, I realized and pondered WHY I was on this trip. It wasn't for my company, or even myself, it was because I needed to learn that the world doesn't revolve around me. It revolves around ALL of the people in this world. Sometimes it can be so hard to realize that we aren't the ones who control our universe. It's a nice thought, but just not practical.

I've been trying to adopt a dog for about three weeks now. It's so hard to adopt a dog, it's like adopting a child. You have to have character refrences, and a fence, as well as the money to afford it. Well, on my way home from Harrisburg, I got a phone call from a woman at a rescue letting me know that I've been approved for Abbey, a german shepherd that I had fallen head over heels for. I think it was something to truly ponder over. Heavenly Father, couldn't or wouldn't, allow me to bring another thing into my life until I realized that he was in control. It's so amazing how he works sometimes. Anyhow, I'll be getting her any day now, and I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Overall, business trips aren't as awful as they sound, and I actually learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I love meeting new people and seeing new places. It was definitly worth the three days away from my family. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves... I don't plan to do it again anytime soon.

Have a great end to your weekend, and I promise to make sure to upload pictures of the new pup. She's so cute!

All my love,
Megan

4 comments:

familymclean said...

new pup, how exciting! Waiting for pics!

familymclean said...

oh, and man, I have to say, I am loving your art!!! Especially the leafy one on the brown, fantastic!!

Ethan said...

Fun! I grew up in PA, only two and a half hours north of where you were! Pennsylvania is a gorgeous place and in most of the smaller towns, you'll find some of the friendliest people.

Glad you enjoyed your visit and congrats on the pooch purchase!

The Horn Family said...

I'm glad you had a good time on your business trip.